Congratulations, you've put in the time, energy and commitment to achieve your new smile! However, we're not finished yet. Retention is perhaps the most critical part of orthodontic treatment. At Lifetime Orthodontics, we take pride in going beyond the final snapshot the day the braces come off. Like the rest of the human body, everything is in constant motion and constant change. It will take some good habits to help maintain your smile but do not worry! When you sign on with Lifetime Orthodontics, you have gained a “smile mentor” for life! We will provide you with the tools to successfully maintain your smile for many years to come.
- With proper care and use, a retainer can help you transition from braces to a beautiful, healthy smile for a Lifetime!
- Your retainer is customized to you and your needs. Dr. Wesley will advise you on how often you should be wearing your retainers.
- Even though your teeth look great, your bones and gums are still reorganizing and your teeth may want to move back to their original position. This is why it is important to follow Dr Wesley’s instructions for wearing your retainers.
- Please bring your retainer to each retainer check visit so that we can evaluate and make any necessary adjustments.
- When your retainer isn’t in your mouth, it should be in the case (not pockets, lunch trays or napkins!!).
- Keep retainers away from pets.
- Do not leave your retainer in hot places or wash them in hot water as they can melt and deform.
- Clean retainers after removal. You can use water and a separate soft bristle toothbrush. Efferdent tabs and other appliance cleaners are also available over the counter. Follow the instructions on the package.
- Retainers, like any product, need maintenance. If cared for properly, they should last you a long time, but nothing is permanent, so they will eventually need replacement.
Broken or Lost Retainers
- Please contact us immediately if you lose or break a retainer.
- It is much easier (and less expensive) to replace or fix a retainer than wait until your teeth get crooked and need braces again!